Tuesday 5 January 2010

I am planning to visit the gallery today... first time for a few days... but woke to this



and still snowing heavily with more to come.... that will test out whether or not it WAS the blocked gully on the flat roof causing the water ingress ( love that word!)  .It seems there is also some  re-mortaring to be done around the chimney.... but clearly NOT today and in these temperatures ... down to -7c recently overnight.

Thank you to everyone leaving supportive comments here and elsewhere on forums.......it is so good to be able to share the excitement......as well as the dramas... and I guess there will probably be a few more of those somewhere along the line.

I need to go down there later today to switch of the Christmas lights... twelfth night and all that !  So will enter with trepidation to check the state of the floor.....  I'm told by the ground landlord no more water has entered in the last few days so fingers crossed I can put the dehumidifier on again soon.

I also have it in mind to dismantle the bar.....and use the timber in the 'kitchen' for storage shelves....but I keep to-ing and fro-ing on that idea......there will no doubt come a moment when I grab the screwdriver and the questin will be setlled.  

Ive also had an idea to put another plasterboard 'wall' up in front of the small window at the back by the chimney breast, which lets in no light ..... this would give more hanging space....and could solve the damp problems there.....guess I need to make contact with the builder soon .....

Off to find my snowboots !!!


6 comments:

JJ said...

Think about that bar, it just might make a super place for a coffee/tea bar. Would make your gallery all the more personal, especially if you have art books handy for browsing through. Just a thought..:)

Unknown said...

Judy has a good point - especially for serving wine on opening nights.
Sorry to hear about the water back ups..... nothing can be worse in my opinion.

Susan Fox said...

Wish I was in your area to help and join in the fun!

jaytee said...

Great ideas.. ... but there will be plenty of chairs and tables staying.. used for either painting or exhibition or other purposes....depending on the sctivity and layout. there will be a corner with a kettle and tea and coffee IN the gallery always available and a chiller with soft drinks (I will keep that tiny sink.... far too useful!)

The bar is large and ugly ( though could be painted!) and takes a lot of space and is heavy and inflexible..... so I think I am still verging on 60:30 to go !! I though t would be useful for storage... but better to het al that out of sight in teh storage room cum kitchen.

I thin the water problem may have been solved... hard to tell while averything freezing !

JJ said...

Yay on the water problem. I have just watched the new on TV, Johanne has it on, and I see that you guys are having our share of snow lol. Isn't it wonderful.

Judy said...

Congratulations on your new endeavor JT. I'm very excited for you and this is a wonderful way to keep us updated on your progress. Are you planning on doing all the work yourself? Phew you will be busy that's for sure.